Welcome to New West SPARTANS Track & Field Club
This handbook has been written to help members understand the Spartans philosophy and objectives as well as to understand the benefits and obligations of membership.
The New West Spartans are a non-profit Track & Field club since 2007. We help BC athletes ages 9 and older in leading an active lifestyle and to enjoy all the health benefits physical fitness offers. Our club offers athletes opportunities to train and compete, and to achieve their personal bests (PB) in track and field, as well as Cross Country in the Fall.
As a New West Spartans athlete you will benefit from:
- Training by experienced international caliber coaches
- Training privileges with the club at Mercer Stadium, Indoor School Gyms, and X-Country training at Moody Park and Queen’s Park, with other members in similar age groups
- Eligibility for participation in summer training camps and clinics
- Individualized training programs in pursuit of excellence
- Eligibility for travel to out of province meets
In return members are asked to:
- Support the club’s objectives and policies
- Participate in fund-raising and volunteer for club activities
- Participate in track meets as New West Spartans athletes
- Attending the practice on time
- Attending meets and be at the location one hour before the events starts
- Volunteering at the local track meets when requested
- Check the club website for updated info
- Understand your role as a parent
- Allow coaches to coach
- Communicate your concerns at appropriate time
- To promote and develop the sport of track and field in British Columbia
- To promote active living, physical fitness, resulting in better health
- To uphold and improve the standards of track and field.
- To create and encourage an active interest and good sportsmanship in the sport of track and field.
- To provide competition at an appropriate level for all Club members.
- To strive for continuing improvement in the skills and knowledge of coaches, officials and administrators.
The current focus of the coaching staff is on the Active Members in the Junior Development and the Juvenile and Junior categories. Master members are also welcome.
New members are welcome. Come for the first two practices for $30 to find out if the training is the right fit for you. This fee becomes part of your membership if you join.
Applications for BC Athletics membership placed through the Spartans will be submitted once all membership dues have been paid. New West Spartans will not allow unregistered athletes to train or compete with the club, as they are not covered by insurance.
Registration forms and information are available on the Registration page.
Volunteer Commitment Deposit
All active members are required to pay a Volunteer Commitment Deposit of $100. each year (postdated Nov. 1st ). As a member you have a choice to participate or not in fundraising activities. If a member participates in more than 15 hours of volunteer work for the club and is in good standing the cheque will be destroyed at the end of the year.
These discounts are applicable to annual Spartan memberships only and are not applicable to the BC Athletics fees:
- $30 discount for a second family member
- $60 discount for a third family member
*Discount does not apply for Rascals, Recreational, or Masters*
Life and Honorary Memberships in the Spartans may be awarded from time to time by the executive of the club.
Club coaches offer athletes the opportunity to participate in summer training camps and clinics. The club will assist members in fundraising for this purpose.
The New West Spartans Executive, elected at the Annual General Meeting, oversee all activities of the club.
The 2018 Executive is made up of the following volunteers:
|Vice-President, Honarary President||Don Benson|
|Secretary||Liljana Ramo, Jill Elliot|
|Club Registrar||Tatjana Mece|
|Athletes’ Representative||Manisha Kandola|
|Head coach||Tatjana Mece|
|Technical Director||Besnik Mece|